Saturday, February 19, 2011

Something Fishy

Hi All, 

  This will be a quick post, something to let you all know that we are doing well here in Yola.  This semester is in full swing, so it means that we are all quite busy.  Classes for me are going well and Jess is doing great juggling her many jobs.  Speaking of classes a few weeks back I took my Principles of Ecology class out for some aquatic ecology along the Benue River.

The Benue System is on the right hand side and is part of the greater  Niger River. 

It was a hot field trip, but it was great.  We sampled two sites for fish and gathered some water samples.  Here are some of the fish:



These are all catfishes, I believe they are all Synodontis sp. , but in the first photo the nearest fish may be a Chrysoichthys.  I am impressed with the diverstiy of catfish.


This in a Mormyrus sp. often referred to as one of the elephant fishes.   I did not dissect this specimen, but it is supposed to have an enlarged portion of its brain that may be used for a sort of electrosensing prey in the murky waters which it inhabits

This is a good ol' fashioned Tilapia.  I don't want to go out on a limb and ID it because I am sure someone  will correct...ok I'll try Tilapia zilli?
Here is one of our sampling techniques, it would be interesting to do a catch per unit effort for this.  I'm sure it low for the site we were at.





To understand the feat this gentleman just performed you need to understand how "Tippy" these boats are. 

Anywho, its fun to share some of the experience.  On another quick note, Google Earth recently updated its imagery for Yola.  

Our House

AUN Campus

The Mighty Benue

More later! Hope all well...Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment